Friday, June 20, 2008

RIP: TV Schedules, Networks, and TIVO.

It’s interesting how quickly we’re seeing the demise of the TV schedule and of traditional channelized broadcasting. I’m not a big TV person, but what little I do watch has migrated from catching a show when it’s broadcast on a cable channel to watching it over the internet when I want. Tuesday night at 9p is no longer the show time, but the time the newest episode is released. I’m more likely to watch it a day or two later than at 9p on Tuesday. And with programming available anytime from producers websites I only need my TIVO for those very few that are not web available.

I’d guess that in the very near future the only channelized TV remaining will be time relevant programming, primarily news channels and maybe live coverage of things like the US Senate.

No comments: